Sunday, September 30, 2012

[there's only this]

As of last Wednesday, I've officially been in this city for a month.
Friday we celebrated that milestone with a floor dinner that was full of craziness. Brynn, Bryna, and I made cupcakes while Ryan, Jacob, Megan, and Sakib somehow managed to make baked mac and cheese, chicken parm, green bean casserole, and mashed potatoes...all for thirty people in the tiny kitchen we have downstairs. The food was wonderful as was the experience of spending time with my floormates. I didn't realize until this weekend how much of an abnormality my floor is. Even in my residence hall that is famous for community, no other floor is as close as mine. Sure people have their groups of friends, but everyone in my hall is friends with everyone.
It was quite odd to spend the weekend out of the city. I'm part of the violet leadership institute and we went on an overnight retreat along with the inter-residence hall council and the national residence hall honorary. It was a lot of fun just to meet new people and do a lot of work on personal growth and leadership development. Turns out I'm a huge leadership nerd. This entire weekend just really forced me to change my perspective on how I see things and it really showed me how different NYU is.
However I am glad to be back in the city, something I never realized until I left it. I've always been a city person, but I never realized how deep my connection to the city really was. Plus I missed all my friends dearly. I have no idea what we're going to do over Christmas break since we're all so spread out.
To sum up my first month at NYU in a few words, I'd have to say it's been a crazy, hectic, inspirational, awe-inspiring, magical time.
Now I'm off to write three papers and study for my midterm this week.
You think I'm kidding.
--cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment